Whether you are looking to expand your palate or are searching for the tastes and culture of your home, the digital age allows you to get food from all over the world brought right to your doorstep. Going to your local grocery store to find international items is not an effective way to shop for these foods and ingredients anymore. In this blog, we are going to break down some fantastic Indian recipes and where you can find them.
What Are Traditional Indian Dishes?
Before we jump right into some delicious Indian dishes, it will be helpful to identify common spices and flavors that you will find within this cuisine.
- Chili peppers both dried and powdered
- Mustard seeds
- Garam Masala
This list of traditional Indian dishes includes Butter Chicken, Chana Masala, Chicken Tikka Masala, Fish Curry, Pakora, Korma, Kebab.
Regional Indian Cuisines
Indian food is heavily influenced by the region in which it is made. From its geographical location, population, and culture of an area, the food is a direct result of all these factors. Traditional Indian food is born out of six major regions.
- Mumbai: Located in southwest India, local markets and street foods dominate this region of food. Rice, black tea, and sugar-soaked electric orange jalebi are common in this area.
- Gujarat: This region is located in the western part of India. This primarily vegetarian area specializes in seafood.
- Northern India: The food from this region features rich curries and sauces that get paired with bread and yogurts. Other common ingredients from this region include onion, tomato, and garlic.
- Kerala: This region is located on the southern tip of India. More street food influence here, this area features plenty of banana fritters and dumplings.
- South India: This region’s cuisine features more rice, lentils, and soups than other areas.
- New Delhi: The capital of India. This is another area with heavy street food influence where you will see chaat or samosa in abundance.
Indian Cooking Websites
While there is an overwhelming amount of cooking websites that include Indian recipes, we want to focus our attention on authentic Indian recipes websites. A great website to start with is from chef and food writer Maunika Gowardhan. Her recipes are diverse and include other influences on traditional Indian dishes. Gobi Manchurian for example is an Indo-Chinese fusion that is enjoyed across cities all over India.
Another great website for authentic recipes is Hari Ghotra. Hari Ghotra is an Indian cook, author, and teacher. Her website is broken down into helpful sections like dietary constraints, recipe cook time, spice level, and even a section separated by ingredients.
Best Site for Indian Vegetarian Recipes
One popular site for vegetarian recipes is Manjula’s Kitchen: Indian Vegetarian Recipes. This website also has specific recipes that are vegan-friendly as well, this site also has Indian food that anyone will be able to find something that they like. Manjula’s Kitchen is great for not only newcomers to Indian cuisine but also beginner cooks as there are plenty of videos breaking down how to make the recipes along with detailed written instructions. A great quote from Manjula herself explains the purpose of her site: “Indian cooking is not complicated and I will show you creative variations that you can experiment with. Half the fun of cooking is experimenting, so give it a try and make these vegetarian dishes uniquely your own!”
Hungry Yet? Use OjaExpress!
After you have digested the cultural, geographical, and cuisine information we have thrown at you, it is understandable if you want to dine on one of the dishes we discussed. OjaExpress can bring you anything from spices, snacks, desserts, and beverages to craft your very own traditional Indian dish.
With all of the choices available in the diverse city of Chicago, you can choose from a number of stores for either pickup or delivery right to you! All you have to do is head over to our website and select a cultural community from our list (African & Caribbean, Indian, Middle Eastern, Asian, Hispanic, European). Then you have the ability to choose the specific food items or ingredients, or you can even choose a store near you to browse.
We hope we can convince you to try something new, and we are excited to see what Indian dishes become some of your favorites. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us, we’d love to help.